Contents of the text lesson:
- Example horoscope
- Lectures – 1 TEXT
- Quizzes – 0
- Duration – NA
- Skill level – Expertise 3
- Language – English
- Certificate – No
- Assessments – Self
EXPERTISE 3 – PROFECTIONS
Profection or profection of a particular point of the horoscope is a technique that is not used by modern western astrologers but is a very good predictive method. Very easy to remember, fast and reliable, especially if you need to make quick predictions or give an instant response to an important question.
Profections or profectio from Latin literally means “beginning” or “origin”. The term is particularly well-known in astrological literature dating from around the fifteenth century to the mid-seventeenth century, but profections have been used long before. The correct interpretation of the term profection profectio means “to be completed”, “to achieve the” to “end”. Probably long before the ancient Greeks, the Babylonians and the Sumerians also used the professions together with the primary directorates, the rising times, and other methods of prediction.
The virtues of their nature are the endless repetition of cycles and events in life. In other words, imagine that our lives are a string of cycles and they all have their own ruler – one of the seven planets.
The natal chart and the seven planets Mercury, Venus, Moon, Sun, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn are used in profecsions as governors of certain fixed periods of life of the native and manifest their nature, their status according to the period they rule.
Calculation and application of the profections
Take a point from the horoscope that has some meaning. For example, the ascendant, and move it with a one-zodiacal-sign step per year. Observe and analyze which sign is responsible for that year, its meaning, and what planets it has or does not have there. You can profect everything . In addition to the ascendant, the culminating sign, which may be 10, 11, 9, and in some cases for the Scandinavian 12 house, can also be profected. You can also profect the Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn.
The oldest and most faithful method of administering prostheses is the “every home-30”
See the diagram below.
In antiquity, the ascendant has been profected by counting as 1, or the first year of the life of the native. The ancient Greeks have slightly facilitated the method in the following way:
If we profect the ascendant, the life of the native in his first year (from 0 to 1) will be ruled by the first house and the master of the first house.
If the first home, the ascendant is ruled by Taurus, then the year will have the ruled by Venus. The second year of birth will be ruled by Gemini, ie. Mercury and so on.
At the age of 11, the year of birth will come to the 12 house, and so on. So, the profected ascendant at the age of 12 is back in the first house. So the cycles are repeated endlessly, until we are alive.
The annual cycle is counted from birthday to birthday, not from January to December.
As noted in the diagram above, we start counting from the ascendant when we are 0 years old, 2 house when we are 1 year old, 3 home when we are 2 years old, 4 house when we are 3 years old … 11 house when we are 10 years old … and 1 house when we are 12, 24, 36 years old and so on. The profected ascendant repeats, returns every 12 years or
1 house responds to 0, 12, 24, 36, 48, 60, 72, 84, 96, … years
2 house corresponds to 1, 13, 25, 37, 49, 61, 73, 85, 97 …
7 house corresponds to 6, 18, 30, 42, 54, 66, 78, 90 …
10 house responds to 9, 21, 33, 45, 57, 69, 81, 93 …
The profections can be used alone or in combination with the Solar Revolution.
Here’s how Vettius Valens in the IV book discusses the profections:
- When we want to find out about events related to body and soul we profect the ascendent.
- When the glory, dignity, elegance, father or powerful people are involved, we profect the We profect the year starting from the sun.
- When body weakness, the mother is involved, we profect the moon.
- For action, occupation, we profect the Meridian or the culminated house.
- For prosperity and acquisitions we profect the lot of fortune.
- For death and torture we profect the descendent.
- Permanent things like property, secret things and things associated with death we porfect the lower culminating house or Imum Cueli.
- For women, relationships, marriage and everything female, we profect venus.
- For military stuff and all public works we porfect mars.
- For failures or deprivations heritages secret suffering patrimony, we profect saturn.
- For fame, friendship, support and alliance, wealth, we profect jupiter.
- For associations, societies, servants, slaves, debit and credit, writings we profect mercury.
Valens explained that among all the points we can profect, the most important are ascendant, Sun and Moon. Moreover, the ascendant has its own, clearer and perfect meaning, as described by Dorotheus and Paul of Alexandria, and is later confirmed by the Arabs who call it the salkhudâh (“Lord or the Governor of the Year”) as the Lord of the ascendant acquires the privilege to govern the horoscope, i. the life of the born during one year.
This is the natal chart of anonimous.
The native was born on 20 february 1947.
We are interested in what happened to the native in 1953. We count 6 years from the ascendant (1953-1947 = 6) and the sixth year falls in the 7th house. Ie. the profected ascendant for the year is 19 ° of Leo. Leo is ruled by the Sun. The sun is in a 12th house ruled by Saturn. Saturn is also a diurnal triplicity ruler of the 7th house.
We continue with our interpretations by taking into account the importance of the house, the planets there, those who aspect the Sun … And Saturn again makes opposition to the sun in the house of thediseases … The conclusion is clear.
It would be useful to make a Solar Revolution for the native for 1953 and to compare, to apply the profected ascendant of the year to the solar revolution. We need to see how the ascendant is placed on the revolution and continue the analysis of the year. Of course, single analysis of the profected ascendent is also good and meaningful method, as well as the single analysis of the Solar Revolution is.
We can also profect the months the same way as we profect the annual ascendent in the following simple way:
- First we find out who is the annual profected ascendant and the house that rules the year.
- This house rules the first month of the year (from birthday to birthday). So if the native was born on 20 February, we start counting from February. 20 February-20 March, 20 March-20 April …
- So, according to the house and the planets in the house where each of the months falls, we make interpretations. We are looking which sign and planet are ruling the house, which planets have exaltation there, if any, and if you want a deeper analysis, watch the almuten of the house. If the first month falls on the meridian and it is ruled by Capricorn and Saturn, we will imagine a very busy month. Mars is exalted there, and he is also the almuten of the home. This mars-saturn combination on the meridian points to a difficult, troubled month in the career of the native.
As we profected the annual ascendant and the monthly, so we can profect the daily.
We have 12 houses each 30° and 30 days in a month. Therefore, each house refers to 2.5 days or two houses are 5 days.
30° = 2.5 days
60° = 5 days
Here is an example.
On 22 July, the native received a professional award. He was 55 years old. The 8th house is the profected monthly ascendant ruled by Libra, ie. Venus. Venus rules the 10 house of the native, and July 22 falls between June 25 and July 25, a month ruled by Pisces, where Venus is exalted.
Count 2,5 days from June 25 or 5 days-2 house.
So we reach 30 June and 3 house.
Add two more houses or 5 days and reach 5 July or 5 house.
Add two more houses or 5 days and reach 7 July or 7 house.
Add two more houses or 5 days and reach 9 July or 9 house.
Add two more houses or 5 days and reach 11 July or 11 house.
We continue until July 20th.
We add one more house or 2.5 days and reach 22.5 July or 11th house where the Sun is, ie. the native receives recognition in his work.
Professionals are a method of the Continuous Astrology and prove the cyclicality and repeatability of events in human life. This is a very simple and easy-to-learn astrological approach, but it has proven worth and validity. Of course, you need to calculate the profected point in the natal chart accurately and without errors.
It is good to use the profections together with the Solar Revolution for greater credibility.
Krasi Attasio, Dr. DMA
R. Zoller: 2011 Course in medieval astrology
V. Vallens: Anthology
P. of ALexandria: Introduction
Bulgarian sidereal astrologer of ancient astrology